Serendipity (names, places, mapbuilding, etc.)
Quick Story Idea
Full Story Idea
really just all of Seventh Sanctum
Fantasy Story Situaton
Chaotic Shiny is just really good in general
a massively extended version of ruthlesscalculus’ post
- 34 Writing Tips that will make you a Better Writer
- 50 Free resources that will improve your writing skills
- 5 ways to get out of the comfort zone and become a stronger writer
- 10 ways to avoid Writing Insecurity
- The Writer’s Guide to Overcoming Insecurity
- The Difference Between Good Writers and Bad Writers
- You’re Not Hemingway - Developing Your Own Style
- 7 Ways to use Brain Science to Hook Readers and Reel them In
- 8 Short Story Tips from Kurt Vonnegut
- How to Show, Not Tell
- 5 Essential Story Ingredients
- How to Write Fiction that grabs your readers from page one
- Why research is important in writing
- Make Your Reader Root for Your Main Character
- Writing Ergonomics (Staying Comfortable Whilst Writing)
- The Importance of Body Language
Chuck Close on creativity
The rest of this quote is glorious as well:
“Inspiration is for amateurs — the rest of us just show up and get to work. And the belief that things will grow out of the activity itself and that you will — through work — bump into other possibilities and kick open other doors that you would never have dreamt of if you were just sitting around looking for a great ‘art idea.’ And the belief that process, in a sense, is liberating and that you don’t have to reinvent the wheel every day. Today, you know what you’ll do, you could be doing what you were doing yesterday, and tomorrow you are gonna do what you did today, and at least for a certain period of time you can just work. If you hang in there, you will get somewhere.”
Normally I dont reblog these things, but this has been especially true to me this year.
Adding to this with Nick Cave’s quote
“Inspiration is a word used by people who aren’t really doing anything. I go into my office every day that I’m in Brighton and work. Whether I feel like it or not is irrelevant.” Inspiration is nice, but if you only work when it strikes, you’re going to be an unhappy artist. This is especially true if you want to earn a living at it; you don’t hear about surgeons getting “surgeon’s block” or garbage men getting “garbage men’s block.” There are assuredly days when the surgeon doesn’t want to be removing gall-bladders, but she does it anyway, because that’s her job.”
Teju Cole continues to devastate in 140 characters or less.
ProPublica: Everything we know so far about drone strikes
Writing is weird.
One minute you are telling a story.
The next minute you are researching the average amount of snowfall Edinburgh gets.
or how to kill someone with a piece of barbed wire and a tomato
Or how much force it takes to dent a human skull with a can of Pepsi.
what the hell are you guys writing?
Warning: total spoilers.
“There’s this issue you’re not allowed to discuss: that women are needy. Men can go for longer, more happily, without women. That’s the truth. We don’t, as little boys, play at being married - we try to avoid it for as long as possible. Meanwhile women are out there hunting for husbands. The world is vastly counted in favour of men at every level - except if you live in a civilised country and you’re sort of educated and middle-class, because then you’re almost certainly junior in your relationship and in a state of permanent, crippled apology. Your preferences are routinely mocked. There’s a huge, unfortunate lack of respect for anything male.”
Seriously though, won’t someone think of the men?! Having to deal with us needy women, gosh, I just don’t know how they do it!
I think all of my exes can attest to the fact that Moffat is full of shit.
[Doctor Who related, all of the spoilers all of the time.]
- YOU HAVE A CHILD. River motherfucking Song, have you already forgotten her?!
- Any dude who would divorce you because you can’t have kids doesn’t deserve you.
- Adoption exists.
WHAT EVEN WAS THIS ARGUMENT.
To be fair, I don’t think Rory was aware that was why she threw him out until she said it in the episode (at least that was my impression), but yeah, Amy’s rationale on this was loads of stupid, not least because of point 3. It was bad writing, and an instant of Moffat’s utter inability to pace major plot. I enjoyed most of the episode, but the Rory/Amy was a shitshow.