Cambodian garment workers end hunger strike after winning money owed to them from Walmart and H&M suppliers. Photos by Heather Stilwell.
Congrats to my friends who worked on this campaign, and the Cambodian workers who fight to win.
The many faces of rape.
This makes me sick to my stomach.
Intersectionality described in 4 minutes.
Utterly brilliant. Just…goosebumps…
Damn. I don’t even have the words.
LGBT and Black oppression y’all….
This will take 4 minutes of your life and make you a better person
“No student of color should have to walk up to their bike and see this. I came to Oberlin for an education and I am getting this. There are a group of people on campus trying to put fear in our hearts. They are failing. Little do they know, they are sparking a revolution. They were bothered by a Black presence before? Well, they must not know. The movement has just started, Oberlin. ”
-Kara Mahon (Oberlin College student, class of 2015)
What’s going on at Oberlin College right now is crazy. Someone was spotted wearing a full KKK-style hood and robe just earlier today, walking around the school casually (apparently in a part of the campus heavily trafficked by POC, according to a friend of mine who went there), which prompted the administration to cancel classes. This is 2013, people, and both racism and white supremacy are alive and well.
Happy women’s day, yo
What’s misandry, again?
- Women perform 66% of the world’s work, but receive only 11% of the world’s income, and own only 1% of the world’s land.
- Women make up 66% of the world’s illiterate adults.
- Women head 83% of single-parent families. The number of families nurtured by women alone doubled from 1970 to 1995 (from 5.6 million to 12.2 million).
- Women account for 55% of all college students, but even when women have equal years of education it does not translate into economic opportunities or political power.
- There are six million more women than men in the world.
- Two-thirds of the world’s children who receive less than four years of education are girls. Girls represent nearly 60% of the children not in school.
- Parents in countries such as China and India sometimes use sex determination tests to find out if their fetus is a girl. Of 8,000 fetuses aborted at a Bombay clinic, 7,999 were female.
- Wars today affect civilians most, since they are civil wars, guerrilla actions and ethnic disputes over territory or government. 3 out of 4 fatalities of war are women and children.
- Rape is consciously used as a tool of genocide and weapon of war. Tens of thousands of women and girls have been subjected to rape and other sexual violence since the crisis erupted in Darfur in 2003. There is no evidence of anyone being convicted in Darfur for these atrocities.
- About 75% of the refugees and internally displaced in the world are women who have lost their families and their homes.
- Gender-based violence kills one in three women across the world and is the biggest cause of injury and death to women worldwide, causing more deaths and disability among women aged 15 to 44 than cancer, malaria, traffic accident, and war.
I’m bringing this back because this morning it was announced that Malala Yousafzai has been officially nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.
He is aware he just confirmed that he believes in forcing women to bear children against their will, right?
Correct. They’re not even bothering to hide behind the fetal rights agenda anymore.
And he doesn’t care if people who are not mentally healthy enough to have a child…become parents.
fuck this dude.
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Prime Minister of Australia kicking ass and taking names (mostly Tony Abbott’s). [x]
This gif set doesn’t do the actual speech a shred of justice. Watch the video and stare in awe, as I did, at how badass this woman is. Honestly, she makes me want to pay attention to politics in Australia. So much drama! Betrayal! Lies! And people actually getting called out on it BY THEIR LEADER! Love it.
WATCH THE VIDEO OH MY GOD
People starving when tons of unsold food is thrown away globally because people couldn’t afford to purchase the food, that’s violence.
People dying and going bankrupt to pay for their healthcare, that’s violence.
People being evicted from their homes when there are more houses than there are houseless people, that’s violence.
woohoo! onebillionrising livestream !
oday, on the planet, a billion women – one of every three women on the planet – will be raped or beaten in her lifetime. That’s ONE BILLION mothers, daughters, sisters, partners, and friends violated. V-Day REFUSES to stand by as more than a billion women experience violence.
On February 14th, 2013, V-Day’s 15th Anniversary, we are inviting one billion women and those who love them to walk out, DANCE, RISE UP, AND DEMAND an end to this violence. One Billion Rising is a promise that we will rise up with women and men worldwide to say, “Enough! The violence ends now.”
HERE’S HOW YOU CAN START A RISING – Stage a rising in your community, office, college, or school. Organize a flash mob at a landmark building/site, in the streets or in a nearby mall. Have a dance party, produce a theatrical event, march in your streets, protest, strike, dance and above all RISE!
Does anyone else find it odd that our society expects 14-year-old kids to know what jobs they will want for the rest of their lives, but doesn’t believe an adult woman when she says she doesn’t want to be a mother?
Oxford University students on why we need feminism
These Women Are About To Tell You Some Things That Are Absolutely None Of Your Business
Holy shit women on fire. This video gave me chills. If you do nothing at all today - watch this!
this shit is fucking A+++++++++++++++++ omg perfection
To the men who have told me that I’m overreacting and “it’s the 21st century women are equal now”
Note that the “women make only 77.5 cents for every dollar that men earn” statistic applies only to white women. Women of color make significantly less.
- Black women make about $0.68 to a man’s dollar.
- Latina women make about $0.58 to a man’s dollar.